Senior Industrial Designer (Brunswick)
|Title:||Senior Industrial Designer (Brunswick)|
|Job Location:||Brunswick, GA|
Open Date: Monday, August 19, 2013
Close Date: Monday, September 9, 2013 COB
An Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/D/V. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. We do not typically sponsor H-1B visas.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Celebrating over 90 years of success, Clark Nexsen, PC is a full-service, multi-discipline architectural and engineering design firm. We are headquartered in Norfolk, Virginia with offices in Washington DC, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Asheville, NC, Richmond and Roanoke, VA, and Macon, Brunswick, and Atlanta, GA. Our 500+ employees enjoy competitive compensation and benefits, an upbeat and professional work environment, and numerous opportunities for career development. We are ranked among the top 200 international A/E design firms by Engineering News-Record and have been recognized many times as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Work. We promote strong ties with the communities in which we live and work - our employees are involved in countless community service projects.
Generous benefits include Health, Dental, 401k, Short- and Long-term Disability, Vacation/Sick. Optional Aflac, Flexible Benefits, and Legal Resources available.
We seek to hire aSenior Industrial Designer
in our Brunswick, Georgia
office who will perform industrial and mechanical design services on industrial process projects of small to large scope for facilities that process minerals, pulp and paper, and petrochemicals.
include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performing various design services as a senior designer, including Conceptual Studies, Process flow diagrams, P&IDs, mass balance, calculations, equipment selection, instrument selection and general arrangements for bulk material handling, process piping, conveyance equipment detail shop drawings, dust collection, chute fabrication drawings, tank/bin design, and equipment platforms/catwalks with minimal direction from supervising staff.
- Providing oversight and coordination of projects, and working with assigned design managers and project managers, to meet client’s budget, contract fees, goals, objectives, and deadlines
- Coordinating and communicating all aspects of industrial and mechanical design within multi-disciplinary teams as requested by the Design Manager or Project Engineer.
- Developing project schematic designs, design development designs, and construction documents
- Supervising and mentoring EI/EIT’s and CADD technicians
- Complying with quality control policies and procedures
- Providing support services during the bidding process, i.e., preparing addenda, amendments, open bids, tabulate bids, etc. as directed
- Performing construction phase services including representing the firm on-site, answering RFI’s, reviewing shop drawings, preparing as-builts, etc. as directed
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from senior engineers and project managers
- Working independently with limited direction
- Supervising and mentoring junior staff in the Industrial Engineering Department
- Performing other responsibilities as assigned by the Project Engineer, Design Manager, Project Managers, principals, and senior management.
include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Engineer or Senior Engineer tasks as directed
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Drafting of plans, partial plans, sections, details
- Completing sections and details produced to a schematic-level of completion by the Engineer
- Create schematic-level plans and details for approval by the Mechanical Engineer
- Developing an accurate, three-dimensional model of the mechanical systems with the necessary level of detail using the required Building Information Modeling (BIM) software package, when BIM is a project requirement
- Develop design options for resolution of system conflicts
- Assist with building systems calculations and LEED templates
- Participate in building system selections
- Participate in building code analysis process
- Monitor individual performance relative to project budget and schedule
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
The following education and training:
- 24 hour MSHA miner safety training (with certification), preferred
Plus one of the following education paths:
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- High school diploma, or equivalent, and completed coursework in AutoCAD, MicroStation, and/or BIM software packages from a technical or vocational school; or
- Associate’s Degree in a field of study related to drafting and design; or
- A four-year undergraduate degree in a field of study related to mechanical engineering
- 24 hour MSHA miner safety training is preferred
- Applicable Autodesk certifications is desirable
- Active membership in drafting or modeling-related organizations (local or web-based) is desirable
- Certificate of Management for Building Information Modeling (CM-BIM) is desirable
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process is desirable
The ideal candidate should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
Specific software includes:
- Microsoft Office
- SolidWorks 3D
Other Criteria and Considerations
- A Senior Industrial Designer should typically have 10+ years of significant A/E consulting experience as a CAD or BIM Technician, Designer or Senior Designer working under the supervision and guidance of a licensed Mechanical or Industrial Engineer (PE).
- Design or construction experience in Design/Build and EPC project delivery methods is desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years of onsite experience with Industrial safety programs and compliance with site specific safety programs in an Industrial plant environment is required
- A minimum of 8 years specific experience with bulk material handling, process piping, conveyance equipment detail shop drawings, dust collection, chute fabrication drawings, tank/bin design, equipment platforms/catwalks, MSHA standards and other related industrial process design parameters is highly desired.
The ideal candidate will:
- Live locally or have local ties to the area
- Present an organized application and resume. Affirmative answers to relevant experience questions in the application should be clearly backed up in the application itself and within your resume(which can be attached).
- Possess excellent written communication skills, being able to prepare effective and concise documents, free of grammatical and spelling errors. (Your online application and resume will be reviewed for written communication skills, completeness, and attention to detail.)
- Possess strong verbal communication skills
- Have an enthusiastic, client-oriented, can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications