Senior Mechanical Engineer (Raleigh)
|Title:||Senior Mechanical Engineer (Raleigh)|
|Job Location:||Raleigh, North Carolina|
Open Date: Monday, August 5, 2013
Close Date: Monday, August 19, 2013 COB
An Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/D/V. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. We do not typically sponsor H-1B visas.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Celebrating over 90 years of success, Clark Nexsen, PC is a full-service, multi-discipline architectural and engineering design firm. We are headquartered in Norfolk, Virginia with offices in Washington DC, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Asheville, NC, Richmond and Roanoke, VA, and Macon, Brunswick, and Atlanta, GA. Our 500+ employees enjoy competitive compensation and benefits, an upbeat and professional work environment, and numerous opportunities for career development. We are ranked among the top 200 international A/E design firms by Engineering News-Record and have been recognized many times as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Work. We promote strong ties with the communities in which we live and work - our employees are involved in countless community service projects.
Generous benefits include Health, Dental, 401k, Short- and Long-term Disability, Vacation/Sick. Optional Aflac, Flexible Benefits, and Legal Resources available.
We seek to a hire a Senior Mechanical Engineer
for our Raleigh Office
, who will be responsible for performing, directing and supervising all aspects of mechanical engineering, including but not limited to HVAC, hydronic piping, and energy studies on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope for commercial and government facilities.
include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing all aspects of mechanical engineering design (specifically HVAC engineering and design) as a Senior Mechanical Engineer, including Conceptual Studies, Program Requirements, Design Analyses, Calculations, Equipment selection and layout, and System selection and layout
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of work
- Providing oversight and coordination of mechanical engineering projects and the mechanical engineering portion of multi-discipline projects, and working with assigned project managers to meet client’s budget, contract fees, goals, objectives, and deadlines
- Coordinating, supervising, and communicating all aspects of mechanical design within multi-disciplinary teams to ensure that mechanical design details integrate properly with all other disciplines represented on the design team
- Communication with the Contractor on Design-Build projects to verify suitability of systems selected
- Directing, supervising, training, and ensuring quality control of junior mechanical engineers and designers
- Ensuring staff compliance with quality control policies and procedures
- Managing and supervising mechanical engineering support services during the bidding process, i.e., preparing addenda, amendments, open bids, tabulate bids, etc.
- Managing and supervising mechanical engineering construction phase services including representing the firm on-site, answering RFI’s, reviewing shop drawings, preparing record drawings, etc.
- Coordinating with the firm’s building commissioning services as required
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Project Managers, Design Managers, Managing Principals, Operations Directors, and Senior Management
- Working independently with limited direction, but collaboratively with other engineers and designers
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior mechanical engineering staff
- Assist in presenting projects to clients, contractors, project team members, AHJ’s, and members of the public through all stages of the project
- Actively support Company marketing and business development activities
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships
- Provide technical guidance to mechanical staff
- Assisting Department Director and Department Head in developing new and/or revised processes and procedures
- Representing the Department Head (DH) when the DH is unavailable
- Leading staff training sessions
- Providing input to Department Head on staff annual performance reviews
include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Project Manager duties as assigned
- Serve in the role of Design Manager on projects as assigned
- Responsible for discipline design and documentation of building mechanical systems
- Develop discipline design approach and methodology
- Develop discipline project plan and production methodology
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant mechanical drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by mechanical engineers and mechanical EI/EIT’s assigned to the project
- Reviewing all drawings produced by technicians assigned to the project
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the mechanical portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, mechanical-only projects
- Assist MP and PM in development of project proposals, budgets & schedules
- Perform discipline QA/QC reviews on assigned projects
- Review and approve discipline code analysis
- Develop discipline specifications
- Respond to RFI’s, Dr Check comments, etc.
- Back-check discipline QC
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
The ideal candidate will have the following education:
- Graduate of an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Mechanical Engineering (Building design focus)
- Mechanical Engineering Technology (Building design focus)
- Architectural Engineering (Mechanical or HVAC engineering focus)
- Architectural Engineering Technology (Mechanical or HVAC engineering focus)
Additional consideration will be given to candidates with the following education:
- Post graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or Architectural Engineering
Note: licensed PE applicants who do not meet the above educational requirements may be considered if otherwise well-qualified
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
The ideal candidate will have earned the following licenses, certifications, and accreditations:
- Must be a fully licensed Professional Engineer in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction or being eligible for reciprocity with the local jurisdiction.
- LEED Accredited Professional
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
- Building Energy Assessment Professional (BEAP), Building Energy Modeling Professional (BEMP), or High-Performance Building Design Professional (HBDP)
Additional consideration will be given to candidates with the following:
- Certified Construction Documents Technician (CDT) or other certification from the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI)
- Other ASHRAE certifications
- Certified in Plumbing Design (CPD) certification from ASPE
- Membership in Mechanical Engineering professional organizations
The ideal candidate will have experience with the following software programs:
And familiarity with the following software programs:
- TRANE Trace 700
- Carrier HAP
- E Plus or other HVAC energy software
Additional consideration will be given to candidates who are familiar with:
Career and Work Experience
- Autodesk Revit
- Bentley MicroStation
- Bentley BIM
- Bentley MEP
- Autodesk Navisworks
- Newforma Project Center
The ideal candidate will have significant A/E consulting experience as a lead or senior mechanical engineer with exceptional written and verbal communication skills and substantial knowledge of applicable mechanical, plumbing, and energy codes and standards.
We particularly seek senior professionals with strong energy modeling and energy management credentials and experience.
Design Project Experience
The ideal candidate will have specific project experience in the design of HVAC systems – please be sure to describe representative projects in the resume. 10+ years of HVAC design experience in one or more of the following types of design projects is strongly preferred:
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Design Build projects
- Commercial facilities
- DOD and Military facilities
- K-12 Schools
- Colleges and Universities
- Hospitals, Medical, or Healthcare facilities
- Industrial facilities
- Laboratories and Research facilities
- Projects exceeding $20 million in construction value
- LEED certified projects
- Projects utilizing BIM principles and software
The ideal candidate will:
- Live locally or have local ties to the area
- Present an organized application and resume. Affirmative answers to relevant experience questions in the application should be clearly backed up in the application itself and within your resume(which can be attached).
- Possess excellent written communication skills, being able to prepare effective and concise documents, free of grammatical and spelling errors. (Your online application and resume will be reviewed for written communication skills, completeness, and attention to detail.)
- Possess strong verbal communication skills
- Have an enthusiastic, client-oriented, can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications