Transportation Engineer (Norfolk or Richmond)
|Title:||Transportation Engineer (Norfolk or Richmond)|
|Job Location:||Norfolk, Virginia|
Open Date: Friday, July 26, 2013
Close Date: Friday, August 9, 2013 COB
An Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/D/V. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. We do not typically sponsor H-1B visas.
Interested applicants must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Celebrating over 90 years of success, Clark Nexsen, PC is a full-service, multi-discipline architectural and engineering design firm. We are headquartered in Norfolk, Virginia with offices in Washington DC, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Asheville, NC, Richmond and Roanoke, VA, and Macon, Brunswick, and Atlanta, GA. Our 500+ employees enjoy competitive compensation and benefits, an upbeat and professional work environment, and numerous opportunities for career development. We are ranked among the top 200 international A/E design firms by Engineering News-Record and have been recognized many times as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Work. We promote strong ties with the communities in which we live and work - our employees are involved in countless community service projects.
Generous benefits include Health, Dental, 401k, Short- and Long-term Disability, Vacation/Sick. Optional Aflac, Flexible Benefits, and Legal Resources available.
We seek to hire a mid-level Transportation Engineer
in either our Norfolk or Richmond Office
who will be responsible for performing and directing Transportation engineering duties on multi-discipline design projects of moderate to large scope, and projects that involve only Transportation engineering.
include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Transportation engineering duties as a lead project engineer including analysis and design involving interstates and interchanges, urban roadways and bridges, site grading, stormwater management, erosion control, and site plan preparation; supervising and directing the work of EI/EIT’s assigned to the project; coordination with other design disciplines; leading the production of contract documents; and satisfying project budget and schedule requirements
- Working on a multi-discipline design team
- Meeting with clients to prepare and validate scope of work
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Obtain guidance from Senior Engineers and the Department Head as necessary to resolve technical and coordination issues and conflicting criteria
- Direct and supervise the work of EI/EIT’s and CAD Technicians assigned to the project, particularly where unusual or difficult problems are encountered
- Performing Transportation services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids as directed
- Performing Transportation services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Complying with the company’s quality control practices and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Operations Directors and senior management
- Working with a multi-discipline team of architects, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects
- Participate in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Directing, supervising and training junior Transportation staff as directed
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior Transportation staff
include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Transportation Engineer tasks as directed
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the Transportation portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, Transportation-only projects
- Conduct project code analysis for review by the Senior Engineer
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant Transportation drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by Transportation EI/EIT’s assigned to the project, particularly analysis and design assumptions, input data, and output results
- Reviewing all drawings produced by Transportation technicians assigned to the project
- Coordinate drawings with technical specifications
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Incorporate responses to QC and Gray Team comments into the project documents
- Assist in responding to RFI’s, Owner comments, etc.
- Review and respond to CA submittals
- Perform discipline QA/QC review on assigned projects
- Adhere to discipline budget and schedule
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Graduation from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Civil, Environmental and Infrastructure Engineering
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Post-graduate degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering/ Transportation Engineering-related degree
- A fully licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction, or be eligible for reciprocity with the local jurisdiction, OR
- Must be able to obtain a PE license within 12 months of hire.
- NCEES record to facilitate licensure through reciprocity is preferred
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP accreditation is preferred
- Additional certifications such as PTOE are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
- Active participation in ITE, VASITE, ASHE, NSPE, ASCE or other related professional organizations is desirable
The ideal candidate will be proficient in using the following programs:
- MS Word
- MS Excel
- MS Outlook
Additional consideration will be given for experience with the following programs:
• Autodesk AutoCAD
• Newforma Project Center
Minimum 4-8 years of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with a Transportation Engineering firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm. Experience with analysis and design involving interstates and interchanges, urban roadways and bridges, site grading, stormwater management, erosion control, and site plan preparation is desirable.
Experience as a lead designer or Transportation Engineer in federal, state, municipal, or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
Other Criteria and Considerations
The ideal candidate will:
- Live locally or have local ties to the area
- Present an organized application and resume. Affirmative answers to relevant experience questions in the application should be clearly backed up in the application itself and within your resume(which can be attached).
- Possess excellent written communication skills, being able to prepare effective and concise documents, free of grammatical and spelling errors. (Your online application and resume will be reviewed for written communication skills, completeness, and attention to detail.)
- Possess strong verbal communication skills
- Have an enthusiastic, client-oriented, can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications