Structural (Bridge) Engineer EI/EIT
|Title:||Structural (Bridge) Engineer EI/EIT|
|Job Location:||Norfolk, Virginia|
Open Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Close Date: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 COB
An Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/D/V. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. We do not typically sponsor H-1B visas. Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Celebrating over 90 years of success, Clark Nexsen, PC is a full-service, multi-discipline architectural and engineering design firm. We are headquartered in Norfolk, Virginia with offices in Washington DC, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Asheville, NC, Richmond and Roanoke, VA, and Macon, Brunswick, and Atlanta, GA. Our 500+ employees enjoy competitive compensation and benefits, an upbeat and professional work environment, and numerous opportunities for career development. We are ranked among the top 200 international A/E design firms by Engineering News-Record and have been recognized many times as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Work. We promote strong ties with the communities in which we live and work - our employees are involved in countless community service projects.
Generous benefits include Health, Dental, 401k, Short- and Long-term Disability, Vacation/Sick. Optional Aflac, Flexible Benefits, and Legal Resources available.
We seek to hire a Bridge Engineer EIT/EI
in our Norfolk office who will be responsible for assisting in various aspects of bridge engineering while working under the supervision and guidance of a licensed Structural Engineer (PE). Responsibilities will include assisting in field inspections to include bridge safety inspections and structural condition assessments, and preparing bridge safety inspection reports as well as participating in various aspects of bridge engineering design and analysis.
include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing various aspects of structural design as directed by a Bridge/Structural Engineer or Senior Bridge/Structural Engineer including conceptual studies, calculations, systems selection and layout for bridge design. Projects may include bridge structures (new design and repair/rehabilitation design), retaining wall structures, temporary support structures, investigation of existing structures, and design related to a business development activity such as a response to a Request for Proposal (RFP).
- Preparation of schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents as directed
- Coordination and communication with design team members to ensure the structural design details integrate properly with the work of all other project disciplines
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Performing structural services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments as directed
- Performing structural services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed
- Complying with quality control policies and procedures
- Learning and implementing department and company standards
- Developing analysis and design skills
- Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Project Managers, Design Managers, Senior Bridge/Structural Engineers and Bridge/Structural Engineers
- Working with a multi-discipline team of transportation related engineers
- Participating in field inspections to include bridge safety inspections and structural condition assessments, and prepare bridge safety inspection reports
Include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing bridge safety inspections and preparing the associated inspection reports
- Performing Bridge/Structural Engineer tasks as directed
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Completing sections and details produced to a schematic-level of completion by the Bridge Engineer
- Creating schematic-level substructure and superstructure plans for projects of moderate to high complexity
- Determination of loads acting on the structure, including gravity and lateral loads
- Development of manual calculations and analytical models for structural analysis and design purposes
- Participating in developing an accurate, three-dimensional model of the structure with the necessary level of detail.
- Developing design options for resolution of system conflicts
- Participating in bridge system selections
- Participating in bridge code analysis process
- Adhering to project budget and schedule
To adequately perform this job, an employee must be able to:
- Travel an average of 50% of the time
- Work may involve times outside normal working hours and on weekends
- Work outdoors with varying terrain and all types of weather
- Stand, walk, and climb for 8+ hours a day
- Be able to lift 50-60 lbs and operate bridge inspection equipment
- Be able to work at heights, over water, and in confined spaces
- Be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a graduate of an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil Engineering Technology (structural emphasis)
- Post-graduate degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering-related degree is a plus
- Must have earned the designation of EI or EIT in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction.
- Pursuing Professional Engineer licensure (PE) within 48 months of being hired.
- National Bridge Inspection Standards (NBIS) certification is a plus.
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA through the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process.
- Active membership in NSPE, ASCE, NCSEA or other related professional organizations is desirable.
The ideal candidate will be proficient in using the following programs:
- MS Word
- MS Excel
- Structural Analysis Program
Additional consideration will be given for experience with the following programs:
• Autodesk AutoCAD
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Prior experience performing NBIS bridge safety inspections is desirable.
- Experience and a working knowledge of applicable Bridge Codes and referenced material-specific standards is desirable.
- 2 to 4 years of specific, post-graduation, structural engineering experience that includes experience with three of the four major materials (concrete, prestressed concrete, structural steel and wood), development of manual calculations and analytical models for structural analysis and design purposes, development of construction documents (drawings and specifications), coordination with other design team members, and experience in responding to construction phase queries and submittals.
The ideal candidate will:
- Live locally or have local ties to the area
- Present an organized application and resume. Affirmative answers to relevant experience questions in the application should be clearly backed up in the application itself and within your resume(which can be attached).
- Possess excellent written communication skills, being able to prepare effective and concise documents, free of grammatical and spelling errors. (Your online application and resume will be reviewed for written communication skills, completeness, and attention to detail.)
- Possess strong verbal communication skills
- Have an enthusiastic, client-oriented, can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications