||Open Date: Friday, 10/23/2013
Close Date: Friday, 11/20/2013 COB
An Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/D/V. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. We do not typically sponsor H-1B visas or other work Visa petitions.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Celebrating over 90 years of success, Clark Nexsen, PC is a full-service, multi-discipline architectural and engineering design firm. We are headquartered in Norfolk, Virginia with offices in Washington DC, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Asheville, NC, Richmond and Roanoke, VA, and Macon, Brunswick, and Atlanta, GA. Our 475+ employees enjoy competitive compensation and benefits, an upbeat and professional work environment, and numerous opportunities for career development. We are ranked among the top 200 international A/E design firms by Engineering News-Record and have been recognized many times as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Work. We promote strong ties with the communities in which we live and work - our employees are involved in countless community service projects.
Generous benefits include Health, Dental, 401k, Short- and Long-term Disability, Vacation/Sick. Optional Aflac, Flexible Benefits, and Legal Resources are available.
We seek to hire a Mechanical Engineer (PE), to work within the Mechanical Department in our Norfolk, VA office. Typical responsibilities include directing and supervising all aspects of mechanical engineering, including but not limited to HVAC, hydronic piping, and energy studies on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope for commercial and government facilities.
- Performing all aspects of mechanical engineering design (specifically HVAC engineering and design) as a Mechanical Engineer, including Conceptual Studies, Program Requirements, Design Analysis, Calculations, Equipment selection and layout, and System selection and layout
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of services
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Directing and supervising the work of EI/EIT’s assigned to the project, particularly where engineering judgment on the part of the EI/EIT is exercised and unusual or difficult problems are encountered
- Obtain guidance from Senior Engineers and the Department Head as necessary to resolve technical and coordination issues and conflicting criteria
- Ensuring staff compliance with the Company’s quality control policies and procedures
- Providing and supervising mechanical support services during the bidding process, i.e., preparing addenda and amendments as required
- Performing and supervising mechanical construction phase services including representing the firm on-site, answering RFI’s, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings.
- Coordinating with the firm’s building commissioning services as required
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from project managers, Managing Principals, Design Principals, Operations Directors, and Senior Management
- Working with a multi-discipline team of architects, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects
- Participate in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Directing, supervising and training junior mechanical staff as directed
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior mechanical staff
- Perform Engineer or Senior Engineer tasks as directed
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Completing sections and details produced to a schematic-level of completion by the Engineer
- Creating schematic-level site layout and grading plans for projects of low to moderate complexity
- Creating schematic level roadway layout and grading plans
- Development of manual calculations and analytical models for Civil analysis and design purposes
- Participate in developing a model of the site design and utilities in Civil 3D
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Other tasks as assigned
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must have graduated from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Mechanical Engineering (Building design focus)
- Mechanical Engineering Technology (Building design focus)
- Architectural Engineering (Mechanical engineering focus)
- Completed course work should include Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, and Fluid Dynamic core courses.
- Post-graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or Architectural Engineering
- Must have earned the designation of PE in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices and pursuing LEED AP accreditation is desirable
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Building Energy Assessment Professional (BEAP), Building Energy Modeling Professional (BEMP), or High-Performance Building Design Professional (HBDP) certifications are desirable
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
- Other ASHRAE certifications are desirable
- Certified in Plumbing Design (CPD) certification from ASPE is desirable
- Active membership in NSPE, ASHRAE or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Mechanical Engineer (PE) should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 4 to 8 years of specific, post-graduation, mechanical engineering experience that includes design and practice experience in a leadership role with a Mechanical Engineering firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm with substantial knowledge of applicable mechanical, plumbing, and energy codes and standards.
- Strong energy modeling and energy management credentials and experience.
- Experience as a lead designer or Mechanical Engineer in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
Other Criteria and Considerations
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess excellent written communication skills, being able to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence
- Possess strong verbal communication skills, being comfortable with and able to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have an enthusiastic, client-oriented, can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Be dedicated to the advancement of the engineering profession